We call it our “Brightening Powerhouse.”
Allure calls it “Superfood for Your Face.”
And it’s NOT acai.
We’re talking about Camu Camu berry, a fruit that grows on trees deep within the Amazon basin. Its claim to fame? Camu camu explodes with vitamin C—more than oranges (a.k.a. the poster child for vitamin C) and more than the almighty acai berry. In fact, many experts believe that Camu camu boasts the highest natural concentration of vitamin C of all plant sources. (No big deal, right?)
This Skin-Brightening Fruit Contains More Vitamin C Than Acai and Oranges
Because of its extraordinary antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial qualities, Camu camu berry has become quite the popular supplement, which is usually available in powder form. People consume the fruit to reinforce the immune system, keep chronic diseases and infections at bay, improve eye health and even improve cognition and mood.
And research shows this isn’t a fad. In a review published in The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, the authors wrote, “Camu camu fruits are a major source of a range of bioactive compounds. These include many polyphenols (flavonoids, phenolic acids, tannins, stilbenes, and lignans),” adding that the berry also contains “a range of amino acids, organic acids […] and fatty acids (predominantly stearic, linoleic, and oleic acid).”
Their conclusion? “The results of these studies point to a potentially substantial role for Camu camu in multimodal, integrative disease and wellness management, notably with regard to inflammatory conditions.
Why You Need Camu camu on Your Skin—STAT
As with many gems of nature, if something is that healthy to eat, chances are high it’s good for skin, too. Camu camu is the skin care sensation you’ve been waiting for.
Thanks to its unbelievably high vitamin C content, it delivers:
- Visibly brighter, luminous skin: Vitamin C is the go-to nutrient for evening out skin tone and boosting that gorgeous, healthy glow
- Reduced spots and scars: Estheticians and dermatologists have been obsessed with vitamin C for its ability to lighten or prevent hyperpigmentation and acne scars
- Major preventative-aging power: Vitamin C is one of the most powerful (and proven) antioxidants, so applying it to your skin helps combat free radical damage, which is the top trigger of visible aging. This means firmer, smoother skin for longer
- Anti-inflammatory action: Not only is vitamin C a natural anti-inflammatory, but Camu camu also contains other amino acids and nutrients that are highly anti-inflammatory
- Clarified complexion: Although there’s currently no research on Camu camu’s effect on acne, the fruit has been shown to boast antibacterial and antimicrobial There’s also an abundance of anecdotal evidence that indicates topically applying camu camu can help keep breakouts at bay. Keep in mind, too, that Camu camu possesses highly anti-inflammatory powers (acne is an inflammation problem)
Explore our Camu Range through a mindful three-step ritual to keep your complexion bright, radiant, healthy and youthfully resilient all season long. Your skin will glow with joy!
The Luxe Botanics Team
This article was originally published on July 14, 2017 and updated on April 16, 2019.